"Mindful eating emphasizes a spirit of exploration, experimenting, and flexibility in finding ways to make use of nutritional information."
-Jean L. Kristeller, Ph.D.
The recipes below can provide quick, healthy & delicious weeknight meals for the family. Guests will love them as well!
Roasted Salmon and Veggies (makes 6 servings)
- 14 large garlic cloves, divided
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary other other fresh herb of choice
- 1tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced or other non-starchy veggie(s) of choice
- 2# wild caught salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 6 portions
- lemon wedges
- 3 cups cooked farro
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves and combine in a small bowl with oil, 1 tablespoon herb of choice, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Halve the remaining garlic and toss with the non-starchy veggies and 3 tablespoons of the seasoned oil in a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring once, for 15 minutes.
- Add a splash of white wine to the oil mixture (optional). Remove the pan from oven, stir the vegetables and place salmon on top. Drizzle with the remaining oil mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon fresh herb and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve salmon over farro with lemon wedge on the side.
Nutrition Analysis Per Serving: Calories: 534, Fat: 16.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Carbohydrates: 47g, Protein: 40g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Sugars: 2g, Sodium: 485mg, Nutrition Bonus: high in Vitamins A & C
Warm Chicken-Ancient Grain Salad (makes 4 servings)
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups organic tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 1 med. organic bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- fresh or dried herb of choice (oregano works well)
- salt and pepper
- 1 # skinless boneless humanely raised chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 c. quinoa or other ancient grain
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced at an angle
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat medium saucepan of water to boiling on high. From lemon, finely grate one teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice.
2. On one side of large rimmed backing sheet, toss tomatoes and bell pepper with garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 of herbs , and 1/8 tsp each salt & pepper. Spread in even layer. On other side of baking sheet, toss chicken with lemon peel, 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 of herbs, 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper. Spread in even layer. Roast 13 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
3. While chicken and veggies roast, cook ancient grain as label directs. Drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add chicken and veggies with their juices to ancient grain, along with celery and lemon juice. Toss until well mixed. Top with goat cheese.
Nutrition Analysis Per Serving: Calories: ~420, Protein: 34g, Carbohydrate: 41g, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Fiber: 7g, Cholesterol: 79mg, Sodium: 325mg
Ready to let the creative juices flow?
Feeling inspired to create your own healthy meal?
Learn how to use your favorite foods to create balanced, tasty, quick and nutritious meals for the family with guidance from our Dietitian.